Is Your Skin Aging Faster Than It Should Be? What you need to know about premature aging.
Imagine looking at the mirror and getting horrified at your reflection. Your skin looks like you’ve aged overnight because of the not-so-subtle wrinkles on your face. Your friends, family, and even strangers seem to always point out how you look older than your age. This can be frustrating for anyone and for some, it can lead to low self-esteem. In extreme cases, it can even lead to depression.
Aging is normal and natural but your environment and lifestyle choices can speed up the aging process. The primary difference between premature aging and normal aging is the timeline in which they occur. Premature aging happens when a person’s biological age is older than their chronological age.
The visible signs of premature aging include fine lines, wrinkles, age spots, hair loss that appear in your 40s, while some of us who are not so fortunate will experience the same in their 30s or earlier.
What Causes Premature Aging?
It is common for the skin to age prematurely due to genetic conditions. However, lifestyle choices and lack of proper care for your skin can speed up the aging process.
Smoking - Smoking might seem cool, but it does a lot of damages. Not only to the lungs but even to our skin. When smoking, your skin is exposed to oxidative stress, and this in effect, leads to skin wrinkling and dryness.
Exposure to Sunlight - The sun has its uses, of course. But constant exposure to it damages the skin and causes wrinkles. The same goes for tanning beds and other mediums that utilise UV rays.
Sleep Habits - Sleeping is good for your skin, and when you don’t get enough of it, the skin suffers. In the long run, there will be signs of premature aging.
Environment - Pollutants are all around you and your skin gets exposed to them. The skin can get wrinkles after exposure to these environmental pollutants.
Slowing Skin Aging
The skin, like your health, needs to be cared for meticulously. You will need to slow the rate at which you are aging biologically by treating the signs of aging as mentioned above as well as targeted treatment with the right skincare to address the signs of premature aging. The skincare ingredients you choose should be beneficial for your skin and should form part of your daily regimen to help address the signs of aging.
- Retinol – Retinol is a form of vitamin A which helps to reduce fine lines and wrinkles. However, it could have adverse effects on sensitive skin. Bakuchiol pronounced as Ba-koo-chee-ahl is a natural alternative to Retinol. Bakuchiol is derived from the Psoralea corylifolia (aka the babchi) plant and delivers age-defying properties as it helps to target fine lines, dark spots, and uneven texture by increasing skin cell turnover rate and stimulating collagen production.
- Botox – For the first year or so, you may look good with injectables. However, when the skin becomes tired from the toxins, bigger amounts of injectables are needed to achieve the same effect and you may even start looking slightly odd. As such, no amount of Botox or filler can match the effects of healthy skin that glows with vitality. 𝙎𝙥𝙞𝙡𝙖𝙣𝙩𝙝𝙚𝙨 𝙖𝙘𝙢𝙚𝙡𝙡𝙖 is a medicinal plant and is often referred to as the 𝙣𝙖𝙩𝙪𝙧𝙖𝙡 𝙖𝙡𝙩𝙚𝙧𝙣𝙖𝙩𝙞𝙫𝙚 𝙩𝙤 𝘽𝙤𝙩𝙤𝙭. This is one of the best botanical extracts you should put on your skin. Because of its unique ability to relax facial tension and therefore improve fine lines and wrinkles that have formed because of facial muscular movements. With its antioxidant properties, Spilanthes Acmella helps to scavenge free radicals and slow down the skin aging process to improve expression lines, restore and nourish your skin. It is particularly effective in helping to improve wrinkles and crow's feet and strengthens the collagen matrix.
- Cylindrotheca Fusiformis – Despite its tiny size, Cylindrotheca Fusiformis is packed full of beneficial nutrients that have great benefits for the aging skin. Cylindrotheca Fusiformis is an oceanic marine algae. It is a powerful anti-wrinkle active ingredient that helps to strongly stimulate the production of structural skin proteins. It is highly concentrated in carotenoids, essential fatty acids, and sterols that have an impressive anti-aging beneficial effect on the skin.
We recommend the MIRACLE POUR multi-active serum which is a 100% natural serum fortified with 28 high-performance botanicals which include the 3 active ingredients, Bakuchiol, Spilanthes Acmella, and Cylindrotheca Fusiformis in one formula. Discover this potent, youth concentrate serum that does the work of five products in one formula to calm your distressed aging skin, reveal youthful radiance, balance skin tone, firm and smooth skin in less time. Read our testimonials here.
Other Factors to Consider
- Pay Attention to Everything – Not Just Your Face
Your face is not all the skin you have. The rest of your body needs care just as much as your face does. Do not limit your skincare routine to your face alone. Love the skin under your clothes just as much as you love the one on your face.
- Eat Healthy and Stay Hydrated
Your body needs a lot of nutrients if healthy skin cells will be produced. Beneficial nutrients will only be gotten when you eat a balanced diet. But more than food, you need water. A lot of it. Staying hydrated prevent wrinkles from showing prematurely.
- Make Good Lifestyle Choices
We talked about some factors that cause premature aging like smoking, exposure to UV rays, and lack of sleep. If these apply to you, you must find a way to make the necessary changes. Quit smoking, apply sunscreen when going out, and get enough sleep.
You will feel great and it takes very little to do so. You don’t have to break the bank to keep your skin healthy and youthful. The fact is, healthy, glowing skin breeds confidence and builds high self-esteem. So why not choose to start your skincare journey right now to address your premature aging?
Get your free download of 10 Top Tips: A Holistic Guide to Ageing in Confidence! Click here.